Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Round 5: Day 3: Shoulders & Arms

Day 3, and I'm already not feeling well. This is due to a really poor sleep I had last night: tossing and turning all night, with nasal congestion thrown in on top. When I woke up this morning, I had congestion coupled with a scratchy throat. Do I listen to my body? No way. I gamely put on my shorts and T-shirt and head down for a brutal Shoulders & Arms workout. I was thinking about this workout for much of the day yesterday, and was really excited about attacking it with vigour and a huge amount of intensity. I was so disappointed to have woken up today feeling poorly, which more than likely meant that I would try to survive the workout, rather than crush it.

In spite of less-than-perfect health, I did approach the workout as intensely as I could. Although it's not always recommended to focus on numbers, I tend to do that during my workouts, as the only way I have to measure progress is to compare the current workout with the previous one. Numbers are my primary source of information for that comparison. I'm not making too many notes about how I felt; occasionally I make notes about form; typically it's just a weight and a repetition note. I'm very competitive with myself. I like to see progress. This means matching last workout's number at a minimum, and hopefully, improving on that number. To that end, I lifted weights in earnest. On one exercise, Deep Swimmer's Press, I felt a slight neck tweak during the repeat round. Nothing major, just some slight discomfort. I'm looking forward to yoga to straighten that out and soothe my muscles.

In general, the workout went rather well, in spite of my health. I managed to equal my numbers of Round 4 and, in some cases, make modest improvements. I don't know what's in store for me tomorrow, but today I'm taking precautions to boost my immune system and I'm planning on plenty of rest and sleep tonight in the hope that tomorrow, all will be back to normal. We'll see, and hope.

No comments: