Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Round 4: Day 73: Back and Biceps

I had a different approach to Back and Biceps today, as this was the first time I've done this workout using dumbbells instead of resistance bands. Some of the exercises are the same or similar to others found in other workouts, so I was able to get a decent basic idea of appropriate weight levels from those experiences and transfer them to the B&B workout. Other times, I completely miscalculated. For the first time, I noticed Tony saying that if you picked the wrong weight, switch it for a weight which will do the trick. I never noticed some of those comments when I was using resistance bands.

I tried to pick weight levels which would really challenge me. I wasn't really interested in 12-15 reps, just 8-10. If I got to 12 reps, I made a note on my worksheet to increase the weight. There seemed to be more of those notes than I'm typically used to seeing. The next time I do this workout, I'll really be better prepared for it.

This is a much more enjoyable workout for me using dumbbells. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it before when using resistance bands. Now, it's even better. I like the pacing, I like the subtle differences in form between free weights and bands, I like being able to compare my weightlifting abilities to Tony and the kids. It makes me more competitive, and made me realize that I'm a little lower in capability than I'd like to be. It got me excited to see that I'm capable of lifting more, and that the ceiling has been raised. Using bands, I felt I had pretty much gone as far as I could have with this workout. Now, it's like starting all over again from scratch.

I was reasonably well prepared to do the workout by having done Just Arms, Diamond Delts, and Upper Body Plus. All of those routines have exercises which are applicable to Back and Biceps. This workout, like the others, revealed that my left arm is still weaker than my right, although I do feel that some gains are being made by the left arm. It still surprises me when my left arm becomes incapable of doing a bicep curl, when my right arm can keep going. There's no pain; just the inability to lift. It's almost like you're not part of the experience, just a viewer of something happening. One thing I'm definitely conscious of is not trying to do too much and risking an injury. When my arm fails, I know it's time to stop.

I'm really looking forward to doing this workout again. Perhaps it will make a more frequent appearance in the next round.

No comments: