Monday, December 21, 2009

Round 4: Day 65: Plyometrics

As I was preparing mentally for Plyometrics this morning, I thought about the prospect of doing an Insanity workout instead of Plyo, and was really pleased that, as I don't have Insanity, that option was unavailable. There's something about doing Plyo (or any tough cardio workout) on the shortest day of the year, when it's pitch black outside first thing in the morning, that turns you off exercising. As I mentioned to my wife just before the workout (note to self: wife doesn't like human interaction first thing in the morning, so don't pontificate about exercising to her at that time), the key to being successful in working out is Doing It, even when you don't feel like it. That's been a key factor in my motivation over the last year, and it stems from Tony's "just push play" attitude. Work out according to schedule, even if you don't particularly feel like it. There will be days (like today) when you're not in the mood, but I've found that I always feel better after a workout, moreso when a workout is completed on a day when you're not in the mood.

Today's workout was surprisingly easy. I was expecting each moment to be difficult and was ready to be a clock watcher, but I found myself with a good amount of energy and pretty much breezed through the workout. I sweated, to be sure, and huffed and puffed a little, but I never ran out of gas and finished the workout strong and energized. That makes me think that I should be picking up Insanity. Obviously, I've been waffling on this point for a number of weeks, and will likely to continue waffling for a few more.

It amazes me how far my personal level of fitness has come since I started a year ago, especially with Plyometrics. It's been a long journey, and it's not over yet, but I didn't think that I'd be saying that Plyo was a breeze. Nice job - so far.

1 comment:

More Milk, Less Moo said...

Hi GP

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and I finally got around to joining today. I had just the experience you are talking about last night with Legs & Back. Didn't want to do it, but did it. I have never finished a workout and thought, gee I wish I hadn't done that. Has anyone? That thought always spurs me to get up and do it. And also I heard Tony say somewhere, Feeling crap? Have a crap workout. Who cares? Those two help me out a lot.
Anyway, four rounds is impressive. I'll be looking to start Insanity on the 1st of February. Have you seen Insanity? It is crazy. Insane, you might say. I'm scared. I'm trying to get some other people to join in. Interested?
Cheers, Jim.