Thursday, October 15, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 89: Core Synergistics

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this workout today. To be honest, I was a bit intimidated by it, so I shirked my responsibilities on Day 86 and did Mammoth UML in its place. Today, I had passing thoughts about doing Medicine Ball Core Cardio instead of CS, but, lacking a medicine ball, decided to bite the bullet and leg out CS. I've been lugging about some 3 and 5lb plates in the back of my trunk for the past few weeks, intended as substitutes for a medicine ball, but I've been forgetful about bringing them inside the house and, at 6:30AM and 2°C temperature, I wasn't about to rush out of the house to retrieve them. So, Core Synergistics was at the top of the menu.

I don't have any major complaints about this workout. The reason it intimidates me is three-fold: prison cell pushups, plank to chataranga run, and walking pushups. Each on its own is manageable; plank to chataranga run, immediately followed by walking pushups is my nemesis. I can't think of a more gruelling combination in P90X or P90X+ than those two. Prison cell pushups are just plain nasty. I always get off to a quick start, but fade down the stretch, and by the time the exercise is over, I'm extremely thankful. Other than those exercises, Core Synergistics is pretty much a breeze. But those three tend to colour the entire workout for me.

I'd have to say that overall, CS is a tougher workout than Mammoth UML, but perhaps both have their place in a typical Recovery Week. I'll be evaluating that as time goes on. My objective for the next round is to continue to challenge myself. Because I'm deviating from a standard program, I want to make sure that I don't baby myself. If anything, I want to make life harder than easier. After all, that is the essence of Bringing It.

No comments: