Tuesday, October 13, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 86: Mammoth UML

Recovery Week time. Again, this week will be slightly truncated, because I was unable to start on Sunday.

I did yoga yesterday. My inflexibility at the start of the yoga workout simultaneously amazes and disgusts me. I can't believe how stiff my legs get, especially my hamstrings, when I don't stretch them out for a couple of days. The workout went reasonably well, although I didn't get sweat as much as I normally do. I think my mind was really in the moment, because I don't know where the time went. Before I knew it, the workout was over.

This morning, I decided to substitute Mammoth UML (Upper, Middle, Lower) for Core Synergistics. I wasn't particularly in the mood for Core Synergistics, and had yet to try Mammoth UML, so I was more interested in a new routine than one I've done many times before. Also, mentally, I just didn't feel up to Core Synergistics. I know, not a great attitude, but it's one that we all have sometimes. At least I didn't skip a workout; I just made a substitution. Besides, Mammoth UML does hit the core reasonably well.

Mammoth UML consists of a series of 6 sets, with 3 exercises per set. The three exercises per set targets - as indicated in the workout name - the upper (chest, arms, shoulders), the middle (abs and core) and the lower (legs). There's a short break between each set. Tony is working out in a hotel room in Mammoth, California, and all he has at his disposal in terms of exercise equipment is what's available in the hotel room: table, sofa, chairs, snowboarding boots, his body, and gravity. Using those, he manages to create a decent workout. Not bonecrushingly difficult, but moderately challenging. He puts together moves off the top of his head. Some are difficult, such as plyo hopping pushups (for lack of a better description) and 40 jump-knee-tucks at the end of the routine (I stopped at 30, but could likely have done more). I found that he took a bit too much time between individual exercises within a set, which allowed my heart rate to settle a bit more than it probably should have. It seems that Tony is a bit more winded than usual when exercising, due, no doubt, to working out in higher altitude. In general, I think I'll include this workout as part of Recovery Week for Round 4, and restrict Core Synergistics to just one day in Recovery Week instead of two. Muscle confusion, you see.

No comments: