Monday, October 25, 2010

Round 7: Day 44: Diamond Delts

Back to resistance today, with Diamond Delts. It's been about a month since I last did this workout. The last time, I recall, I slightly tweaked a muscle in my neck when doing the two direction shoulder flys, so I had a bit of fear about re-injuring myself. There's always that moment of fear and hesitation when reconnecting with something that gave you some pain. I felt that way about taking up running again, following my calf injury in June of this year. I suppose that it's only natural that your brain gives you a warning about something when that thing has hurt you before. It's a bit like entering into another personal relationship after you've had a particularly painful breakup. You move with caution.

Psychology aside, I think there's another reason that I've been distanced from Diamond Delts for awhile: I didn't particularly feel like doing resistance workouts. There always seems to be a clear reason for things: I don't want to. It's not really a good reason, but it dogs each of us at some point in our lives, and it applies to so many aspects of life, not just physical exercise. But, like other aspects of life, you have to throw out the "I won'ts or I can'ts, and change them to "I wills". Not easy, but ultimately, it's the right thing to do if you want to achieve in your particular endeavour.

Today's workout was challenging. My right shoulder was bothering me, the lingering effects of a rotator cuff injury I suffered while playing baseball as a young boy. My right shoulder always clicks and cracks when I rotate my arm around my shoulder. It's not that painful; it just results in a slightly restrictive movement which normally doesn't bother me when doing pushups, but is noticeable when doing pike presses, because they more fully engage the shoulders, rather than the pecs.

So, I put on a brave face and did the best I could. And, I would say that today's workout was pretty successful, as a result. The next time will be easier, as I get my way back into resistance workouts.

No comments: