Monday, October 25, 2010

Round 7: Day 43: Kenpo Cardio Plus

Hopping back onto the cardio bandwagon, I chose Kenpo Cardio Plus today, from P90X Plus. Like Friday's workout, this isn't the most intense workout I own, but it does encourage you to work up a good sweat, provided you put effort into it.

Even though I've done this workout many times before, the passing of time has dimmed my memory somewhat. I had some coordination issues trying to make my body do some of the moves and actually had to refer to the TV to make sure that the right limb was moving in the right direction at the appointed time. The most difficult move (to do, that is, not to remember) is the Gladiator. I'm handicapped by a low ceiling in my workout space (about 6'-3" high) so getting a good, high jump with a leg kick could result in a serious concussion. So, my move is a little modified in the name of health preservation and in the desire to spare my country additional medical expenses. Still, attaining a high leg kick is a challenge for my piano string-like hamstrings, and, after 10 repetitions each side, I've had enough of this move. I've never found it to be easy, although I can manage to live through 30 second's worth of effort.

I completed the workout without taking a water break, although I did mop off my face a couple of times. After 18 months, this workout still challenges. I like that about this series, and about all of Tony's workouts. You're challenged to grow and compete against yourself.

No comments: