Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Round 6: Day 59: Upper Plus

I haven't exactly abandoned my Round 6 schedule, but I do seem to be modifying it on a regular basis. I'm still following the routine where Days 1, 3 and 5 are resistance days, Days 2 and 6 are cardio, and Day 4 is yoga, but the workouts I had originally scheduled to follow seem to have fallen by the wayside due to a variety of factors: slight injury, minor tweaking of body parts, or lack of motivation or desire. I'm not skipping workouts, it just seems that sometimes I'm happier doing what I want to do.

Again when I awoke this morning, I had thoughts of several workouts swirling around in my head including, oddly enough, going for a run. As this was a scheduled resistance day, however, I shelved the notion of running (perish the thought!) and decided to focus on my upper body: arms, shoulders, chest, delts? My lower back felt a bit sketchy due to some bent-over rows I did the other day (manifesting itself, oddly, during my bicycle ride home the other day). My left oblique is a little sore, and I was concerned about straining it. So, I decided not to do anything related to lifting over my head, or heavy curls which might inadvertantly put stress on my lower back. I came to the decision that this might be a good day for Upper Plus, which works most of the upper body without the heavy weight lifting, and offers minor cardio as a side benefit.

Upper Plus is still a good workout for me, although I was rather tired of it following Round 3, when I was doing it twice weekly. I took the added step of doing the workout without any music, probably because I find the soundtrack to this workout more annoying than inspirational, and it made a difference to my temperment. I breezed through the workout, got a good sweat on, enjoyed the variety of moves (with the exception of weighted warrior, which I don't really care for, likely because it really challenges my sense of balance and my shoulder strength), and found the overall experience to be most satisfying. It was a good decision to make, so that I could still get in a good upper body workout without overly stressing sensitive parts of my body.

Modify, modify modify, if you have to.

No comments: