Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Round 5: Day 25: Yoga

Upon awakening this morning, I wasn't really in the mood for X-Stretch. I felt a little tightness in my hip flexors yesterday and was looking for a little more aggressive stretching to deal with that. So, I decided to substitute yoga for X-Stretch. X-Stretch will be deferred to Friday, Day 6.

That proved to be a good decision. I really focussed on bending my front leg while maintaining a straight back leg in Crescent and Warrior 1 poses. I got a tremendous stretch out of Warrior 2. I even had a strong focus on my shoulder muscles during Downward Dog. I'd have to say that this was probably one of the best yoga sessions I've ever had. I'll credit having a proper frame of mind for that success. Now, all I have to do is remember what I did for next time.

On an unrelated issue, I've been reading a lot recently about the barefoot shoe (is that an oxymoron?) movement and the positive effects minimal footwear can have on the body: strengthening the legs, improving posture and balance, and facilitating a greater awareness of one's environment. Intrigued by incredibly positive reviews, I picked up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (VFF) and Terra Plana Aquas. I've been wearing the Aquas at the office and the VFFs at home. Both are extremely comfortable. I'd liken the experience to being barefoot (didn't see that coming!) and like wearing a pair of extremely thin slippers. Both shoes are ridiculously lightweight and flexible. I'm looking forward to seeing how it feels to run in them. I'll likely be changing my running style from being a heel striker to a mid-sole striker. I don't see how it's even possible to run in those shoes whilst landing on the heel. Anyhow, I'm now walking on a cloud. Great feeling.

Namaste.

No comments: