Monday, March 1, 2010

Round 5: Day 23: Insanity: Cardio Recovery

It was fortunate to have Cardio Recovery today, because I needed it following the overtime victory by Canada in yesterday's gold medal Olympic hockey final. I felt like I was having cardio problems as I watched the overtime. Now, it's a great time to recover.

I've never done this workout before, but had briefly previewed it. The workout consists of a combination of yoga stretches and squat / lunge moves. It's not really like a yoga workout in that the yoga moves don't really flow. It's also not really a cardio workout. The squat moves were challenging in that they are done slowly and there are some isometric "holds" which last for a while, challenging you to breathe through the discomfort.

One thing which I didn't particularly like, especially during a stretch routine, was Shaun T. counting down the seconds until the stretch was over. This causes you to think about the duration of the exercise instead of thinking about clearing the mind and focussing on the stretch. Also, the countdown clock ticks off time in hundredths of a second. It's not the luge, people, it's only stretching. The countdown clock is really a bit over the top.

Anyhow, it's a reasonable workout, considering it's a recovery week. On the other hand, I don't think that it's a superior workout to yoga.

No comments: