Friday, October 23, 2009

Round 4: Day 6: Super Cardio

Ow, ow, ow, OW! This is the feeling I used to get when I did Kenpo X the day after Legs and Back. Yesterday's Legs and Back workout left my butt in serious pain this morning. The cardio exercises in the first two rounds of today's workout contain a number of exercises which directly involve the glutes, the hamstrings and the quads, all of which were at some level of discomfort. Jumping and squatting was just plain nasty. Legs and Back, followed by Super Cardio is looking like a nasty combination.

I have never done this workout first thing in the morning, and it was a much tougher workout than I recall from when I did it a week ago near the end of the day. In some ways, it's more intensive than Plyometrics because of the jumping and twisting exercises which are foisted upon the unsuspecting participant from the start of the workout. At least Plyometrics starts easy, and works towards greater intensity. Not so with this series of exercises. I was really pleased to have survived the first two rounds of exercises, to reach the final round, consisting of Kenpo moves, which allowed my heart rate to drop a bit and to give my screaming legs a break. This workout looks like a keeper to me.

One thing I don't particularly like is the speedy yoga moves employed during the warmup period. I don't enjoy racing through yoga moves, but prefer to do them in a more relaxed, fluid manner. Also, I don't like doing yoga with my shoes on, which Tony acknowledges on the video as being more difficult. At least he understands that.

I do appreciate the extended warm-up and cool-down times; approximately 10 minutes for each. I'll take the warm-up more seriously next time, to better prepare for the lower body massacre which will ensue.

End of Week 1; looking forward to Week 2.

No comments: